Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Birth Of A..... DIVA

Well, this is the last leg of our adoption jouney so far, the adoption of the DIVA, Arlyn. Many of you think I'm exagerating but believe me, I am not! We had taken some time to heal from Alex's adoption and were rather content but did I mention befoe that I hate the word "NO"?? I am not one to take that word lightly and also the word NEVER! If you know me at all, you know how head strong I am (just ask my dear husband)!

Now, I would never adopt just to prove someone wrong but when you know in your heart that you were innocent and that a line was crossed, you tend to get a little irritated. So we started all of the paperwork and got our homestudy redone. That was the first hurdle, then the next was just waiting for God's perfect timing. We had been waiting with our agency about a year and I was getting irritated. Oh yea, I have NO PATIENCE either! When God, in His wisdom decided to teach me a lesson! He nudged us to move to Tennessee.

So off we went to Tennessee. As you may have guessed, we had put all adoption related issues on hold as we had no idea what we were doing at that moment. But..... three weeks after we had made this huge move, we got "the call" well, actually "the text" from our agency that a baby girl had just been born with Ectodactyly (hand deformities) and they had no families. She asked "Are you interested"? Well, of course I was!!! I didn't even bat an eye! I'm impulsive like that! Gets me in alot of trouble!


So over the next few days, we exchange phone calls and emails. trying to figure out what paperwork needed updating and where to do this. About the third day, my social worker called me to tell me that this baby girl had more special needs than just her hands she had a "syndrome". Corneila DeLange Syndrome! Ahhhhhh! Well then, this was an interesting turn of events and I knew right then that God was just smiling down at me and my expression at this moment.
See, the other child that we were trying to adopt when we were adopting Alex had Cornelia DeLange Syndrome. Which led me to do all of the research and make the connections that one would have to make in order to parent a child with this syndrome. Yep, Gods work, don't ya think??? We knew what the challenges would be and the issues that we would more than likely face with this precious baby so we were committed. In fact, we were the ONLY ones committed.

A week or so later we traveled to meet our new princess, it was just picture perfect! She was so tiny and fragile. Just a perfect vision to us. I couldn't think of a more perfect baby for us. Arlyn had a ways to go before being discharged from the NICU so it ripped our hearts out to have to leave her but we did. We lived 5 hours away and just could not stay near her for the next month. But when that day came to bring her home, what a glorious day it was.

Here's where the DIVA status comes into play. Little Miss Arlyn started to develope quite to personality and for a 1 month old she could tell you her likes and dislikes very clearly. She had to be fed a certain way, changed a certain way, held a certain way, put to sleep a certain way, and so on and so on. Yes she was the royal princess and we were her servants. But you know what....I didn't mind at all! She deserved all of it and she still does. She has taught us so much in her short 9 months. Parenting Arlyn is very humbling, you just really appreciate the "little" things in life and in her development. My precious baby brings tears to my eyes everyday. I cannot imagine life without her. She is truely A blessing from God and we are truely blessed to have the honor of being her mommy and daddy.




Our First Meeting

Coming Home
Long Live The Queen
My favorite Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment